Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Since When "Thank You" Is A Fault?

Dear all,

Kindly take note that there will be some viewer's discretion required when reading the above post.

Thank you.


Yours sincerely,
Kelvin Yew

Did you realised the word "thank you" was written in red? Well, apparently someone from the Star newspaper decided to write an article on how un-English it was to use the pharse in a letter or email. Yup, UN-ENGLISH! Shoudn't they filter those articles before publishing them?



Well first up, it was rather a very un-Kelvin matter to read newspaper. So when I do read the news of the day, it was quite frustrating to note such article being posted. For as long as my life, I thought that by saying (or writing) thank you was a very nice and polite way to others. I didn't know that it was un-English, until yesterday at least.

I have been writing to people across Australia and Germany, most of them being customers and contractors but never felt that the expression of gratitude was so "wrong".

Though the particular article explains the reason of why using "thank you" was un-English, I just could not apprehend the reasons given. Same goes to the usage of the "Dear..." expression. Why do we refer to someone who is not that dear to us after all?

I could feel that much of negativity exuding from that article. Just my 2 cents.

Thank you!

No comments: