Saturday, August 8, 2009

Of respect and being respected.

I do not know why but only in this final semester of my undergraduate studies, that I felt so close to my family. I am the one who are not keen to go back hometown once I am in UTP, just that the hassle of catching a bus and the long hours of traveling, I really prefer to be in campus and spend my weekends playing squash. But things have changed now…

The whole Malaysia was in shocked 2 weeks ago when Yasmin Ahmad passed away suddenly. I managed to watch a tribute documentary by TV3 about her. According to her parents, she is a very obedient daughter who will call daily and ask her mum, :: “Mak OK? Mak happy tak? Mak kena happy ye…”. Well, its also clear when each and every movie she made are dedicated to her parents. Also, Adibah Noor added that its because of her tremendous respect for both of her parents that she has been given the gift of creativity and brilliant ideas for her production, in Malay, she calls it ‘restu ayah bonda’.

Perhaps it is true. Friends may come and go; some may even scold you words that your parents would not even dare to say to you. Spouse may quarrel with you and have their own opinions on some issues. Colleagues will gang up and leave you when you are no longer useful to them. Lecturers at times just give up hope on you when you screwed up a test. But parents, they are always there, whether you realize or not – they are there for you. In the times you need them most, they will forget all you have said to them, forgivingly love you, and will tell you the words you wish to hear. Isn’t it lovely?


Yew Boon Chuan

Sucy Mary D/O Irlan


4 comments:

AUDREY said...

such a sweet post Kelvin... make me miss my parents even more even though baru only sampai UTP. (T_T)

Unknown said...

I did not know I have such tender words to be penned down as well. Glad that u appreciated it. ;)

Anonymous said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

Mansori said...

nice words touch my heart
read my blog its
http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=6566735132471913991#overviewstats